The 124 year old priceless family heirloom which belonged to Reginald Herbert Morrison, a centre who won three caps for Scotland while studying at Edinburgh University has been returned to Scotland from Australia by his great-grand-daughter-in-law Rebecca Morrison.
Rebecca, who is in Scotland on a business trip, presented the cap and talked to www.scottishrugby.org (to listen to the audio follow link). She also presented two other caps, one of which was from Edinburgh University and another which is yet to be identified…
After several months of communication between Scottish Rugby’s librarian Mike O’Reilly and Reggie’s grandson David Morrison the cap was returned to Scotland where it will be displayed in the President’s Suite at Murrayfield Stadium.
Rebecca Morrison said: “It’s a marvellous thing to bring the cap back here to Scotland where it belongs.”
Morrison was born on 15 March 1864 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. Born into a medical family he followed his father, brother and uncle into the same profession.
His pursuit of medicine brought him to Scotland where he studied at Edinburgh University for four years and played rugby for the university team. It was his fantastic athleticism and rapid pace as well as having Scottish ancestry that then gained him a position in the national team.
Reggie, as he was known to his colleagues, played in all three internationals in 1886, against Wales, Ireland and England. In the game against Ireland at Raeburn Place he crossed the line for two speedy tries making him the country’s top try scorer that year. He also showed the only glimpse of scoring in the 0 – 0 draw with England on 13 March – unfortunately he was knocked into touch as he crossed the line.
As well as rugby, Reggie also excelled in cricket, football, swimming and middle distance running. He was also a skilled exponent of the game of bridge.
After graduating in 1888, Morrison returned to Australia leaving behind his short-lived rugby career. On his return to his homeland he set up a successful GP practice, became an honorary Gynaecological Surgeon at the Royal Women’s hospital in Victoria and lectured as a professor in Gynaecology and Obstetrics at Melbourne University.